Tuesday, February 24, 2015

I am Born


I am born; I am born of you -
You lying in this sterile faded ward -
One of many-
In a building echoing sounds
Of old hunger, suffocating air and decay.

Time passes here -
Slowly, quickly - does it matter?
She stares into shapes-
Oblivious to voices once familiar.
Gently I stroke her hand.
She smiles like a child -
I remember when I was the child
And she held mine.

Her skeletal form rests on the white linen sheets -
And as I trace each finger with my own
Tears blind my thoughts of -
Loving worlds made with her hands.
She is peaceful and smiles.

Did she say my name?
I move closer
Softly I kiss her thin white forehead.
'I love you Mam.' -
Words tumble through my tears.
An echo - 'I love you too'
Spoken with a smile but -
Without recognition.

Looking at her as I leave
Seeing her
Just lying, smiling, waiting -
I think -
I know you do Mam
You always did.

Angela M.C. D'Alton


 


No comments:

Post a Comment