Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Just One More

Sitting up past midnight
Ears straining for breath without wheeze
Sitting up praying you wouldn’t go with the night.

The intrusion of the telephone breaks
My concentration.
I hear his voice. It is soft
Words almost silent.
I run to him searching his face
And ask for my boots.

‘I wont be long’ I say and
Kiss him softly.
I drive without recollection
A Journey to my new life.

My brother stands weeping
Slouched against the door
My mother sits in stunned silence.

Entering the bedroom I  move to him
And kiss his cold beautiful face
The walls resound grace and
We all stand around in prayer.

We never said goodbye I thought
Was there need? He just knew
Like always I never had to ask.
He left us and the breathing became deeper
The lark had flown leaving
A young child to live on.

I still long for one more minute
To see his dark brown eyes
His smile
To hear him laugh –
Just one more minute
To say goodbye…



Angela M.C. D’Alton© 

No comments:

Post a Comment